What is Jira?
JIRA is a project management tool for agile teams that was developed by Atlassian. It helps Scrum teams to plan and track the progress of development work, as well as providing a number of extra features for efficient task management, reporting and team collaboration. But, just like any other tool, Jira also has some disadvantages. The price tag can be pretty steep for some, and there is some undue complexity in the app as well, which may lead dev teams to search out an alternative workflow for their organization.
Whatever the reason, this list will help compare and contrast the relative benefits of 10 different JIRA alternatives, both paid and free, that your agile team could start using today.
N.B if you want more details on Jira, check out these helpful articles:
Using Jira Agile Boards - Everything you need to know about using boards in Jira and how they can help your team
Using Jira Kanban Boards -Everything you need to know about using Kanban boards in Jira
How to Create a Retrospective in Jira - Everything you need to know about creating a retrospective in Jira
How to Create a Dashboard in Jira - Everything you need to know about creating a dashboard in Jira
Zepel is the simplest project management tool for software product teams. It gives you a snapshot of what’s happening at every level. Using Zepel, you can analyze customer requests, feedback, and bug reports from multiple tools at the same time, and prioritize them easily. Zepel understands the importance of a developer’s productivity and has deep integrations with GitHub, Bitbucket, and GitLab. This allows developers to use item ID and link items to pull requests, branches, commits, and automatically update progress in Zepel based on their Git Workflow.
- Simple document-like interface to plan features with User Stories, Bugs, Tasks, Subtasks, and Enhancements.
- Scrum boards
- Advanced search filters
- Dependencies and attachments
- Multiple assignees
- Activity timeline
- Supports scrum and kanban
- Burnup charts, burndown charts, and cumulative charts
- Deep integrations with GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab, Slack, Figma, and more!
- Lets you bring customer requests and feedback inside Zepel to build customer-focussed products.
- Developer-friendly APIs
- One-click import from JIRA
Free for 5 members without feature restrictions. Starts at $5/member from 6th member.
Website: <a href="https://zepel.io/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://zepel.io</a>
VersionOne is an all-in-one agile project management tool that can quickly adapt to any agile software development methodology. VersionOne is a versatile tool for projects with a variety of sizes and scopes. It supports methodologies such as the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®), Enterprise Scrum, Kanban, DAD, LeSS, or a Hybrid approach. It is one of the best alternatives to JIRA present in the market.
- End-to-end agile platform to plan all your stories
- Simple to use and it easily engages all teams
- Improves visibility, helps share information, and effectively manages projects
- Plans, tracks, reports on all projects and portfolio
- Improves end to end continuous delivery
- Powerful portfolio management, reporting, metrics, and dashboard structure
- Keeps updated project progress in real-time
You get a free trial, and a basic plan which you can start using for free. Paid plans with advanced features start at $29 per user per month.
Website: <a href="https://www.collab.net/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.collab.net</a>
ClickUp is simple and has an intuitive interface. It is one of the newest Jira alternatives. ClickUp provides most of the features and integrations Jira offers, yet there is absolutely no cost at all. It provide a free version with features like Assigned Comments, to-do lists, task checklists, super-rich text editing, a Multitask Toolbar, Simple/Custom Statuses, Sprints, Goals, and more!
- Assign Comments when a task is too much
- Stay on the same page with collaboration detection
- Select multiple tasks
- Sort tasks by multiple attributes
- Integrations include Slack and GitHub
- Support is offered over the phone and via email
ClickUp is available for free with only 100MB of storage. If you are looking for unlimited storage, you need to pay $5 per month billed annually
Website: <a href="https://clickup.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://clickup.com</a>
Workzone is a simple, yet highly powerful JIRA alternative that brings several useful features. The site was just published on April 1, 2021, and leading software review site Software Advice has already named Workzone as the #1 JIRA Alternative in all ranking categories, including overall, functionality, ease of use, value for money, and customer support by user reviews. Capterra and GetApp both also ranked Workzone as one of their top options for project management software.
- Individual workspaces for every team
- Project and task templates
- Personalized to-do lists and task dependencies
- Workload reports
- Time tracking
- Easy file sharing
The price for Workzone starts from $24 per user per month, which is their basic Team plan. The price goes up to $43 per user per month in their Enterprise plan.
Website: <a href="https://www.workzone.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.workzone.com</a>
Asana is a web-based tool that allows users to manage project tasks online without using email. Asana is a great software if you don’t want all the agile features of JIRA and just want to do simple project management, task management or team collaboration. One major drawback of Asana is that although it comes with Board, Calendar, and Gantt charts, it might not be the ideal tool if you want to use it as an issue tracker or for agile development.
- Set priorities, deadlines and assign tasks and share details in one place
- Create visual project plans to see how every step maps out over time
- Address risks and report updates to stakeholders
- Offers 100+ Asana integrations
You can use Asana’s basic plan for free. The Premium plan starts from $10.99 per user per month, and their Business plan will cost you $24.99 per user per month billed annually.
Website: <a href="https://asana.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://asana.com</a>
Hygger is a simple JIRA alternative with powerful features such as time-tracking, kanban boards and roadmap planning, so that you can stay focused on tasks that help your business grow. The program allows you to break your goals down into actionable parts so that you can visualize roadmaps that your team and stakeholders will love.
- Break down your project plan into individual tasks
- See exactly what should be done and promptly detect the bottlenecks
- Manage all your conversations, checklists, and files in one place
- Prioritize intelligently using Value/Effort Matrix
- Create comprehensive and accurate timelines
- Visualize your custom workflows using Kanban boards
- Use swimlanes to highlight the most important tasks
Hygger is available in three pricing options – the free Basic plan in which you get only 100 MB storage, the Standard plan which costs $7 per user per month and the Enterprise plan at $14 per user per month.
Website : <a href="https://hygger.io/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://hygger.io</a>
Redmine is a flexible project management web application that was built on the Ruby on Rails framework. It is cross-platform, and cross-database. The main thing that makes it stand out from other JIRA alternatives is the fact that it comes with a wide range of plug-ins making things easier and faster than before.
- Flexible role-based access control
- Custom fields for issues, time entries, projects, and users
- SCM integration (SVN, CVS, Git, Mercurial and Bazaar)
- Easily customizable
- Can be implemented as an online or intranet source for your project management
Redmine is available in a free version, and the paid plan starts from $25 per user per month.
Website: <a href="https://www.redmine.org/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.redmine.org</a>
Although it is also owned by Atlassian, Trello is another user-friendly tool software development teams use for agile software development. It is an interactive and light-weight project management tool. It has an easy and simple user interface to manage your project, and their dashboards allows the user to organize and prioritize the projects in a flexible manner.
- Trello has a built-in mechanism for file uploading, commenting, drag and drop facility.
- Trello has separate boards for – Company Overview, New Hire Onboarding, Editorial calendar, etc.
- It can be integrated with Dropbox and drive.
- The maximum file size that can be attached to Trello is 10MB.
- Trello supports mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, etc.
Free for unlimited users with limited features. Business plan starts at $12.50 per user per month when paid monthly. Enterprise plan starts at $17.50 per user per month when paid monthly.
Website: <a href="https://trello.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://trello.com</a>
VivifyScrum is an Agile project management tool that features both Scrum and Kanban boards. This makes VivifyScrum a viable option for teams practicing those development strategies, but may make it a bit too narrow for teams using other frameworks. It offers in-depth project management options, as well as tools to manage your team, track their engagements across projects, and extract valuable reports from Burndown Charts and Scrum Metrics.
- Task & issue template creation
- Burndown chart, Scrum metrics and sprint goals
- Assigned comments and multiple assignees per task
- Invoicing and internal documentation
- Time tracking for each task within the app
- Team management and report generation
VivifyScrum is available at a pricing of $10 per month for up to 10 users. However, the price increases as you increase the number of users.
Website: <a href="https://www.vivifyscrum.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.vivifyscrum.com</a>
Sprintly is one of the popular tools similar to JIRA that lets you see and track all your projects in one board. It provides a robust query language and filtering functions, so project managers can see in real time who is working on what. Sprintly integrates with GitHub, Bitbucket, Beanstalk, Crashlytics, and Slack.
- Sprint views
- Querying capabilities similar to JIRA
- Agile reports
- Integration with third party tools
No free plan. Includes a free 7-day trial. Startup plan starts at $19/month for 6 members. Team plan costs $49/month for 14 members. Pro plan costs $99/month for 20 members. Agency plan costs $199/month for 33 members.
Website: <a href="https://sprint.ly/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://sprint.ly</a>
Proofhub is a cloud based project management and collaboration software built to simplify the way teams run, communicate on, track and report upon projects. Its interface is simple to use and offers a large range of popular integrations. Proofhub is particularly nice to use when dealing with work that contains visual/design material.
- Gantt Charts
- Kanban Boards
- Multiple Assignees
- Calendar View
- Custom Roles
- Request Forms
- Advanced Search
- Mobile App
Proofhub offers a Free Trial and 2 tiers of subscriptions:
- Free trial
- Essential: for $45/month
- Ultimate Control: for $89/month.
Website: <a href="https://www.proofhub.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.proofhub.com</a>
Backlog is a collaborative project management tool that has everything you need to deliver quality products. Backlog offers extensive dashboards and an array of charts that visually show the status of your team's work.
- Push notifications for new issues
- History thread of issue updates
- Drag and drop file attachments
- Create, assign, and update tasks
- Set due dates to keep work on schedule
- Breakdown tasks into subtasks and checklists
- Pull requests, merge requests, and branches
- Keep all files in a central location
- Invite clients, vendors, and freelancers to projects with guest roles
- Create wikis for all project members
Backlog offers 4 tiers of subscriptions:
- Free Trial: for 1 project, up to 10 members and 100 MB of storage. They also have 3 paid subscriptions to choose from
- Starter: $35/month for 5 projects, up to 30 members and 1 GB of storage
- Standard: $100/month for 100 projects, unlimited users and 30 GB of storage
- Premium: $175/month for unlimited projects, unlimited users and 100 GB of storage. They also offer a custom Enterprise solution
Website: <a href="https://backlog.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://backlog.com</a>
Ora is an all inclusive tool for product development that empowers teams to get the most out of their work.
- Sprint Management
- Product Launches
- User Feedback collection
- Bug Tracking
- Product Roadmaps
- Receiving Incoming Requests
However, Ora includes a vast range of products outside of typical PM that could come in handy for your team such as special tools for Startups, Agile development, Remote teams, Marketing Planning, Resource Allocation and more.
Ora has a diverse list of integrations from the most popular apps in product development workflows such as: Slack, Git Hub, Google Calender, Gitlab, Bitbucket, Zendesk, Integrately, Zapier.
Ora offers 3 tiers of subscriptions:
- Basic: free Package for up to 10 members, a $10/user/month billed annually
- Professional: $5.99/user/month billed monthly with no limit on members
- Enterprise: $25/user/month billed annually or $19.99/user/month with no limit on members, single sign-on and file encryption.
Website: <a href="https://ora.pm/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://ora.pm</a>
Assembla Project Management gives users a wide range of tools for their Project Management.
- Task Boards
- Task Management
- Individual Ticket Views
- Repo Integration
- iOS App
The Task Board along with all ticket items are customizable which allows you to set dates, put statuses on items, assign items and assign tag names. This allows you to have greater control over the PM process.
Assembla offers 3 tiers of subscriptions:
- Starter: $12/user/month account for up to 5 users
- Enterprise Cloud: $19/user/month account for >5 users and 500GB of repo storage
- Enterprise Self-Hosted: $16/user/month account for >5 users and unlimited storage
Website: <a href="https://get.assembla.com/projects/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://get.assembla.com/projects</a>
Applio Targetprocess is a PM tool that helps teams easily track the whole whole process of the PM process. Teams can plan, execute, track and review work all on the Targetprocess platform making the users informed and aware of their work.
- Task Boards
- Receiving Incoming Requests
- Creating Roadmaps
- Risk Management
- QA of tasks
- Product Delivery Tracking
- Workload Optimization
- Product Dashboards
Targetprocess also includes integrations with a vast array of popular apps such as:
- Azure DevOps
- Atlassian Jira
- HPE ALM
- IDM RTC
- MS Project Server
Contact Applio Targetprocess for information on pricing.
Website: <a href="https://www.apptio.com/products/targetprocess/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.apptio.com/products/targetprocess//</a>
PivotalTracker is a great tool for seeing the important details in your PM process all in one place. The platform lets teams clearly create and define their action items through item creation, estimation and category assignment.
- Task Boards
- Velocity Tracking
- Story Creation and Tracking
- Project Trends
- Burnup Chart
- Story Cycle Time
- Rejection Rate
- Mentions and Comments for Team Members
- File Sharing
PivotalTracker also offers integrations for Slack, Zendesk, Zapier and many more.
PivotalTracker offers 4 tiers of subscription:
- A Free subscription for 1-5 users limited to 5 projects
- Startup: $10/month flat rate package for 6-10 users and unlimited projects
- Standard: $6.50/user/month account for >11 users that includes volume discounts
- Enterprise: Includes single sign-on, Org-visible projects and full project history.
Website: <a href="https://www.pivotaltracker.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.pivotaltracker.com</a>
Wrike product Management enables teams to communicate, collaborate and deliver whilst having full control and visibility over the process. Wrike also offers a dedicated Agile Project Management solution for teams using Agile Development.
- Task Boards
- Gantt Charts
- Customizable Tables
- Project Tracking
- Progress Reports
Wrike offers 4 tiers of subscription:
- Free: includes 2GB of Storage per account
- Professional: $9.80/user/month with 1-2GB storage per user
- Business: $24.80/user/month with 5GB storage per user (plus a wide range of new features)
- Enterprise: Contact Wrike for details, but it includes 10GB storage per user, user audit reports the and automation engine
Website: <a href="https://www.wrike.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.wrike.com</a>
LiquidPlanner removes uncertainty that teams have when it comes to their PM. The LiquidPlanner platform will allow you to see deadlines, estimates and issues that arise during the PM process. These insights give your team the power to learn, improve and deliver.
- Portfolio Management
- Task Boards
- Progress Charts
- Workload Views
- Availability and Locations
- Task Management
- Change Tracking
- Time Tracking
- Dashboard Insights
LiquidPlanner also features a Slack integration.
LiquidPlanner offers 3 tiers of subscriptions:
- Essentials: $15/month billed annually for up to 5,000 tasks and 50 projects
- Professional: $25/month billed annually for up to 50,000 tasks and 500 projects
- Ultimate: $35/month billed annually for unlimited tasks and projects
Website: <a href="https://www.liquidplanner.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.liquidplanner.com</a>
nTask is a PM software that provides teams a well-designed UI combined with powerful metrics and tools. Teams can collaborate, track and plan almost any detail within a project in a well thought-out, easy to use system.
- Team Comments
- Gantt Charts
- Task Boards
- Financial Summary
- Document Management
- Dock View
- Alerts and Notifications
nTask offers a free account as well as 3 tiers of paying subscription:
- Basic: free for up to 5 users with limited projects
- Premium: $3/month billed annually or $4/month billed monthly with unlimited workspaces and projects and 5GB of storage
- Business: $8/month billed annually or $12/month billed monthly with unlimited workspaces and projects and 10GB of storage
- Enterprise: Contact nTask for pricing, but this tier has unlimited workspaces and projects, 100GB of storage, customer onboarding and priority support
Website: <a href="https://www.ntaskmanager.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.ntaskmanager.com</a>
Eylean gives teams the power to plan, work, track and analyze their work. Eylean enables teams to be flexible in their working styles, allowing them to work as they want to whilst maintaining their productivity and autonomy.
- Task Boards
- Gantt Charts
- Single Unified Dashboard
- Real-time collaboration
- Agile report templates
Eylean offers 3 subscription tiers:
- Standard: €9.99/month for 5-24 users
- Larger Team: for €9/user/month 25-50 users and live support
- Enterprise: contact Eylean for pricing, but this level is for >50 users and includes on-site consultations and priority support
Website: <a href="https://eylean.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://eylean.com</a>
Quickbase’s Project Management tool shows teams insights and teachings from their task boards. Being a no-code platform, Quickbase is easy to implement and doesn’t require intense upkeep or maintenance.
- Interactive Dashboards
- Automated Reports
- Automated Workflows
- Continuous Deployment
- IP Filtering and SSO
- 2-Step Authentication
- Audit Logs
- Roles and Permissions
- Application Lifecycle Management
Quickbase offers 3 tiers of subscription:
- Team: starting at $600/month priced annually for <50 business apps
- Business: starting at $2,000/month priced annually for <100 business apps
- Enterprise: contact Quickbase for pricing options. This subscription is fully customizable and includes on-premises connectivity
Website: <a href="https://www.quickbase.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.quickbase.com</a>
Kanata brings all the tools that teams need for the PM process together in one place. Nothing is left as an unknown when using Kanata; teams are able to transparently see their schedule, workload, and financial status.
- Revenue Summary
- Margin Summary
- Project by Status
- Risk Averages
- Project Durations
- Product Owners
- Project Health
Kanata also includes a long list of app integrations such as: Jira, Slack, Salesforce, SAP, Hubspot, Qualtrics, Xero and many more.
Website: <a href="https://www.kantata.com/product/project-management-software" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.kantata.com/product/project-management-software/</a>
DoneDone’s task management software lets teams track tasks, customize workflows and assign issues to team members with ease. Keeping track of all the moving parts of your team has never been easier - every detail that you need to know is here waiting for you to uncover.
- Workflows and Statuses
- Assignees and Watchers
- Calendars and History
- Task-to-Task Linking
- Bulk Editing
- Due Date
- Email Notifications
DoneDone also integrates with HARVEST, Slack, Github, Google Drive, Zapier, Glip and Webex.
DoneDone offers 3 tiers of subscription:
- Collaborate: $4/user/month billed annually or $5/user/month billed monthly for unlimited projects and custom workflows
- Outreach: $8/user/month billed annually or $10/user/month billed monthly for added conversation reporting and saved replies
- Enterprise: Contact DoneDone for pricing information
Website: <a href="https://www.donedone.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.donedone.com</a>
Bitrix24 is one of the worlds most used internal communication platforms, not only because of its PM solution but because of the range of other tools they offer - allowing teams to solely use the Bitrix24 platform for all their needs. Bitrix 24 Tasks and Projects solution enhances a team's productivity and makes work management easier.
- Task Boards
- Workload Management
- File Sharing
- Time Management and Calendars
- Recurring Task Automation
- To-do lists
- Gantt Charts
- Real time collaboration
- Mobile App
Bitrix24 offers 4 tiers of subscription:
- Free: unlimited users with 5GB of storage
- Basic: $39/month billed annually for 5 users with 24GB of storage
- Standard: $79/month billed annually for 50 users with 100GB of storage
- Professional: $159/month billed annually for unlimited users and 1,024GB of storage
Website: <a href="https://www.bitrix24.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">https://www.bitrix24.com</a>